Tuesday, March 3, 2009

My how things have changed! - Telnet & blinkenlights

I've been sitting in my lounge listening to ABC radio for updates on fire/wind warnings, and trying to memorise the terminology of FTPs, IPs and telnet amongst others. Fortunately I have come across some of this stuff before as I was setting up a website for someone and had to teach myself from scratch. That was a hard way to go but a good base for this unit!

I first used pc's back in the days of monochrome monitors and XT computers...slow cumbersome things that ran only on DOS (which our modern day computers still do way down at the core). Telnet brings me back! Before windows you needed to know the basics of DOS - you searched by typing in simple commands like 'menu' or 'rd' or 'dir'. There was a list of available commands and I managed my files and directories with it. Telnet is a lot like DOS. I must admit I prefer windows, even though I remember being wary of windows when it was just becoming popular! Oh dear,,showing my age here....anyway here is a copy of the email from Deakin.

Subject
Email from DEAKIN UNI LIB
Telnet printout You searched for the AUTHOR: bennahum 2 AUTHORS found, with 2 entries; AUTHORS 1-2 are: 1 Bennahum David A 1936 ................................. 1 entry 2 Bennahum Ninotchka .................................... 1 entry


As for blinkenlights....that brings me back too. I learnt to 'draw' pictures just using letters, numbers and symbols on my chunky manual typewriter at school :) We had an electric one too! My kids think it's totalling boring, but then they've grown up with pc's, windows, computer games with amazing graphics and PS2. I was lucky if I could find someone with an Atari or Commodore (go space invaders!). Programming computers was done by little cards with dotted marks on them (like the tattslotto cards) and I don't think pc's existed. I feel like I've seen a little chunk of an amazing world revolution in the making. Now I've progressed to learning to create animations using Toon Boom...now that's a cool program!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers