I had heard of blogging before starting this course, but didn't really know much about it. From my point of view blogging was a great way to waste time. I mean, who'd want to read it anyway, and why would you want to post your thoughts for all to see?
Now that I know a little more about it I've discovered a new world! Though I still feel, personally, that you can waste a lot of time with this sort of stuff, I can also see some benefits.
I have discovered some really good blogs about topics I'm interested in, and you can pretty much join in to the social network of the blogger to find others interested in the same things. For example, if you're into Dr. Who, or glass blowing, or making candles from ear wax (not that I'm into that) then you can do a Google blog search and find blogs covering those topics. If the blogger is seriously into the same topic, you've just found a kindred spirit - even if they're on the other side of the world. Even though blogging may not have been intended that way, facilities to include discussions allow others to follow the blog and to make comments. Links to followers or other blogs and sites offer a wealth of networking opportunities if you are able to find the blog of a like minded soul.
Blogging comes under asynchronous communication since the blogger is communicating ideas and thoughts etc and posting it for others to see and potentially respond to at a later date.
Blogging may be the new 'newsgroup' alternative - a more aesthetic way to tell people about something and to create a network. A blog which focuses on a topic which interests you can lead you to another interesting site or other related blogs. It has some appeal, since it is so informal yet looks good. Although a response is not generally expected, it is usually hoped for. For example, we students of NET11 have created a blog network by linking our blogs to each others' blogs, and by offering comments on posts. If we don't receive comments we feel a little lonely -there are often students asking for comments to be made on the Bb noticeboard.
The issue of privacy and security is also worth considering. Blogging has its similarities to facebook and other social networking sites in this regard. It is possible to forget that you are not writing in a diary but actually posting to the world. Yes, you can limit the availability of your blog, but used the wrong way, blogging can also be a threat to privacy and security. If I decide to blog about someone else, or to mention names and personal details of friends or colleagues or co-students or myself, then issues of privacy and security come into play.
Still, I must admit I enjoy blogging - maybe it reminds me of my teenage years when I kept diaries, or maybe it's just being able to write what you're thinking without stressing about it too much.....whatever....it's been a great experience!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment